Posted on June 17, 2019 in: News
Saint John Mission Church celebrated the 125th anniversary of its dedication with a special Mass on Sunday, June 16.
Saint John was built in 1893 and dedicated on June 17, 1894. It is the oldest Roman Catholic Mission east of the Mississippi River. Pastoral care of Saint John Mission was entrusted to Saint Andrew Church, Colchester, in 1893 and was transferred to Sacred Heart, Norwichtown, in 1960.
The Most Reverend Michael R. Cote, Bishop of Norwich, celebrated Mass in the small church in the Fitchville section of Bozrah. The Bishop related some of the history of the church's founding and early years during his homily.
After Mass, members of the church and its anniversary committee attended a brunch at the Bozrah Moose Club.
Video ACA Español
Roman Catholic Diocese of Norwich
Norwich, CT 06360-4328