By Edward Tessman, Excutive Director of Catholic Charities
Catholic Charities with offices in Norwich, New London, Middletown and Willimantic continues to impact those in crisis and most in need. Over 6,750 residents of Eastern Connecticut were served by Catholic Charities, regardless of race, religion or national origin in 2018. Below is a summary of the 2018 annual activity:
- 68% of our clients were female
- 32% of our clients were male
- 10% of our clients were under the age of 18
- 74% of our clients were non-Catholic
- 80% of our clients had an annual income of less than $15,000
- 250 Thanksgiving Baskets distributed to families in need
- 175 Families and 397 Children helped through “A Very Giving Christmas”
- 3,685 adults and children were served through our Emergency Basic Needs program, providing 5,710 units of service.
- Our Emergency Food Pantries distributed over 44,500 meals to families throughout Eastern Connecticut.
Total Emergency Basic Needs Direct Relief Provided $210,897.00
Intensive Case Management services provided help to 1,558 households to develop comprehensive plans to use resources for success in greater self-sufficiency including obtaining and maintaining employment, parenting education, pregnancy education, adoption searches, immigration education and better financial management skills.
686 individuals received over 7,819 units of direct service through our licensed Behavioral Health & Clinical Services program. Clinical services were provided to people of all ages and situations to address issues including depression, anxiety, domestic violence, sexual abuse, grief, behavioral problems and substance abuse to abusers and family members. These psychiatric, group, family and individual services included therapeutic interventions designed to meet a variety of family needs to improve the well-being of family members, reducing risks of crisis, abuse as well as neglect, with the goal of keeping families together.
Total Behavioral Health & Clinical Services Charitable Care Provided $228,650.00